Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Huevas Are Not Huevos!!

My first few days in Sevilla were actually pretty nondescript. It rained like a monsoon the entire time so we didn't really get to explore the city much! The sevillanos all claimed that this much rain is extremely unusual... lucky us! What I did see of the city is absolutely stunning. There are orange trees everywhere and the river that runs through Sevilla, Río Guadalquivir, is absolutely breathtaking. The streets are labyrinths of winding cobblestone and ancient buildings. I have never been in a place that has so much history, culture, and art.

On Tuesday, we had our first day of class of the pro-cultural seminar. This is a month long seminar run by our program center that intensively teaches us about the culture of Sevilla and España in general. Each week (Monday through Thursday) we study a different topic. In addition, we have discussion and grammar classes each day. In the culture class we began learning about the Franco dictatorship which was interesting and I could understand Rafael very well. Then it was our first discussion class… God did I hate it.

Puri, the professor, seemed really nice and has a beautiful voice with a musical Andalusian accent. For most of the class we introduced ourselves. I hate talking in front of people I don’t know in English so I was even more freaked out to do it in Spanish. When it was my turn, I stumbled over saying the word ‘Cardiologo’ because I was so nervous. Puri said it correctly and then made me repeat it and repeat it. I was absolutely mortified! It didn’t help that Nate and Phil, two of the strongest speakers are also in my discussion class. Luckily class ended soon after that. Our first grammar class was by far my favorite of the day. Juan is really approachable and friendly and even though it is a ‘grammar’ class, he spent most of class teaching us useful phrases, slang, and cultural quirks.

The program center itself is beautiful. It's located on the 2nd floor (it's actually the third, but in Spain, the first floor is considered as 'planta baja' or ground floor) of an old building, constructed in the 1920s. It has an ancient elevator whose doors you have to manually close for it to operate. I'm not brave enough to try it as it definitely looks like it is over 80 years old! Anyways, the view from the center looks out onto a gorgeous fountain and the Torre del Oro is just around the corner so I couldn’t think of a better place to have to walk to everyday.

Wednesday also turned out to be quite an adventure. Before class, me and the girls I traveled with decided to go out for Tapas again. Wandering down one of the side streets near the hotel, we found a cute little Tapas restaurant with outdoor seating. Besides ordering our stand by dishes of paella, jamón, and patatas ali-oli, we decided to branch out and order two different dishes of huevas. Now, we knew that 'huevos' meant eggs, and we thought that 'hueva' meant a certain type of fish. Basically, we guessed that we would have one plate of eggs and one plate of fish. We figured it would be a pretty safe bet because all of us liked eggs.

We were wrong.

The food arrived and it was definitely NOT eggs. But upon tasting it, it wasn't like fish either. The texture was incredibly crumbly and dry, and broke into a lot of tiny pieces my mouth. Even after pulling out a dictionary, we didn't have a clue what this food was. So, we consulted our waiter who then amusedly told us (In Spanish) "They're fish ovaries."

Oh dear God. Yesterday I apparently ate a million little fish eggs and now they're all swimming around in my stomach about to grow into giant fish and kill me. Despite lunch being quite the adventure, the rest of the day turned out to be pretty uneventful. Tomorrow should be interesting as we move in with our families!!!! I’m so beyond excited yet terrified!

1 comment:

  1. Get used to the embarrassment and speak anyway; everyone is going through the same thing you are. :)
    Your program center looks out on Puerta Jerez?? I'm so jealous! That fountain is beautiful!
    You should check out Los Coloniales off of Avenida de Constitución; they have fantastic pollo con salsa de almendra.
    I'm glad to hear you're adjusting! :)

    ReplyDelete